October 24, 2010

Dandelion Salad with Heirloom Tomatoes, Feta and Rye Croutons


"When in doubt, cook". "When in shock, cook". Both of these apply, and cooking has for a long time been a form of therapy to me. Today it was the latter of these two that applied. As I was leaving the yoga class today we had a small car accident at the car park (the other driver was at fault), a car backed into ours and the force shook me sideways injuring my lower back. This was my first car accident of any sort so even if it was a minor one I did suffer a bit of a shock. We were able to drive home, and a few hours later I am feeling quite ok.

I found myself in the kitchen despite all this. I felt like "assembling" something, and a salad was a natural way to go. I found these dandelion leaves at the same markets as the nettle, and of course dandelion grows wild just about everywhere so if you know a clean spot to pick them at, you can pick them yourself. Dried dandelion root makes wonderful tea, and dandelion latte is one of my favourite afternoon treats. It is also packed with medicinal qualities, just like the nettle.

The peppery, slightly bitter dandelion goes lovely with the sweet tomatoes and the salty feta cheese. I've used sherry vinegar, but you could easily use normal balsamic vinegar instead. I never have white bread at home so I made the croutons using rye bread and added some flavour with dried herbs. It's all about the balance of flavours, as always! :-)

Wish you all a safe and enjoyable week to come!


Dandelion Salad with Heirloom Tomatoes, Feta and Rye Croutons
(Recipe adapted from Earth to Table by J. Crump & B. Schorman)

bunch of fresh dandelion leaves, washed
green, yellow and red heirloom tomatoes, sliced
piece of Greek style low-fat feta cheese, crumbled
1 slice of rye bread, toasted and cut into cubes
1 tbs olive oil
pinch of dried thyme
pinch of dried rosemary

*Sherry Vinaigrette*

1 tbs extra virgin lemon olive oil
2 tsp Sherry vinegar
tiny pinch of sea salt

freshly ground black pepper

Assemble the leaves, tomatoes and feta on a big platter. To prepare the croutons, heat the olive oil in a small frying pan, add the herbs and heat for a minute, add the croutons and cook for a few minutes tossing the pan so they won't burn. Take the pan off the heat and set aside. Whisk all vinaigrette ingredients together and drizzle over the salad. Season the salad with black pepper and sprinkle with the croutons.

Enjoy, nourish and love.

Print

7 comments:

  1. Love dandelion and love feta! :)
    i see u keep using "wild herbs" like nettles... and today dandelion!...
    love to cook with wild herbs... and with dandelion on the blog i posted a savory cake
    http://crumpetsandco.wordpress.com/2010/05/25/cake-al-tarassaco-e-cipollotti/
    and a pasta with chickpeas too http://crumpetsandco.wordpress.com/2010/05/19/pennette-al-tarassaco-e-ceci/
    can't wait for spring to have it on my hands again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm love that you can just 'assemble' something that looks soooo good! Can I crash your place for lunch next weekend? ;) I always struggle with fresh healthy lunch ideas... it's hard to serve one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not gonna lie, I read this about dandelions and I wrinkle my nose a little. But I will take your word for it that it is delicious, and it does LOOK quite delicious as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about your accident, but I'm glad you're ok! Cooking is therapeutic for me too...delicious-looking salad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Maria I'm glad to hear you're ok! No accident is too minor to be in shock! This salad looks amazing though - fresh and definitely screams "summer"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no Maria! I hope you are ok? *hugs* That must be quite a shock! But you can't keep a good cook down! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear you're ok after your little "bump". I actually have two recipes (Burmese I think) using dandelion and I've never made them. I used to pick dandelion 'weeds' from my fathers vegetable garden and feed them to our pet parrots! This is such a warm weather salad!

    ReplyDelete