August 15, 2010

Tasty Gluten Free Buckwheat Bread


Hands up those who still think gluten free bread is tasteless and boring? Or was I the only one? The newly enforced trial diet for my partner has meant me venturing in to the world of gluten free baking, and I must admit I have learnt a lot during the past few weeks!

This simple bread recipe was my first bread baking experiment after trying a couple of delicious flourless cake recipes. I had thought the end result would be, as I suggested, boring and tasteless, but turned out I couldn't have been more wrong.

I have always loved baking bread, and I am so glad to know there are delicious gluten free bread recipes out there. This is a must try for everyone!

Tasty Gluten Free Buckwheat Bread
(Recipe by taste.com.au)

1 1/2 cups gluten free plain flour
1/2 cup organic buckwheat flour
3 tsp gluten free baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs caster sugar
2 egg whites
1 cup reduced fat milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3-4 tbs seed mix (pepitas, sunflower seeds, pine nuts)

Preheat oven to 180C and grease a 6cm deep, 9cm x 19cm loaf pan. Sift together the gluten free flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder and salt and stir in the sugar. Beat the egg whites until just frothy, and stir in the milk and the vegetable oil. Pour the egg white mixture into the flour mixture and beat for 2 minutes or until smooth. Pour the batter into the pan, and press the seed mix lightly into the batter. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the bread comes out clean.

Stir the egg white mixture in to the flour

Pour the batter in to the pan and sprinkle with the seed mix

Et voilà! Tasty gluten free bread!

Serve warm with soft butter

21 comments:

  1. Ahhh, it's got eggwhites in it! So that's where the dough would get its 'stretch' from after having no gluten in it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos Maria! love the Sydney morning light coming through your window, it makes the bread look morning delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bread and butter! Ohh that loaf looks so beautifully made Maria =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks great. question: there are so many gluten free flours...which one did you choose? I have a friend whose insulin resistant and can not eat most flours. however, buckwheat is on her list. thanks for sharing. looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments guys!

    Mademoiselle délicieuse: I do believe egg whites have the effect ;-)

    The Urban Baker: I used gluten free plain flour by Orgran Natural Foods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I had gluten free wheat free banana and cinnamon cake today and it was ANYTHING but bland!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maria, that bread looks amazing! You have a beautiful blog. When I read "Finnish girl" in your profile, I got transported back to Helsinki, where I spent a wonderful summer as a child! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My experience is often gluten free bread is very dense and kinda crumbly (not much use for anything really). That bread looks good - appears fairly light while still substantial. Thanks for drawing my attention to this recipe. I'll give it a go for my gluten-free friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never done any gluten free baking, but the idea of gluten free bread sounds really interesting! It's so cool how it looks just the same as normal bread!

    (clearly, I have no knowledge of gluten free baking whatsoever :P)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Maria - Im the first to admit I thought gluten free was boring but you've done a great job to convince me otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a deliciously healthy looking bread! I don't have to worry about gluten, but even I'd try this version.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indeed, this Gf home made bread looks truly appetizing!!


    MMMMMMMMM,..I also love taste.com.au They have great recipes!

    many greetings from Brussels, Belgium,..that land from far, far away!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks great! I love gluten free bread although I'm not celiac but its texture is like a cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. we baked a lot but never used seed mix (pepitas, sunflower seeds, pine nuts) as toppings with our breads. But it look delicious though, thanks for the idea.


    kosher

    ReplyDelete
  15. I use only just the Orgran plain flour and follow the instruction on the back, it didn't turn out so well. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pet,

      Maybe you should mix some buckwheat flour in the dough like in the recipe above? It would give it some extra flavour.

      Maria

      Delete
  16. Hello. Thank you for sharing this recipe! So you find this bread doesn't need guar or xanathan gum? Or is that included in the gluten free flour youre using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! Yes, guar gum was included in the flour that I was using.

      Thanks,

      Maria

      Delete
  17. Thank you so much! So if I am adding it, how much would you recommend?

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. your bread looks good..I noticed you did not use yeast but the bread turned out really good..

    ReplyDelete